Improving Lives with Cat & Dog Surgery in Virginia Beach, VA
Many cats and dogs go through surgery at least once in their lifetime. With so many advancements in veterinary medicine, surgeries are now safer than ever, and they can significantly help to improve your pet’s quality of life. At Veterinary Hospital of Virginia Beach, our veterinarians perform expert soft tissue surgeries on cats and dogs, as well as some exotic species, too.
Common Surgeries We Perform
Our veterinarians are skilled at many soft tissue and oncologic surgeries. Some of the most common surgeries we perform include:
- Spays and neuters
- Tumor removals
- Foreign body removals
- Skin growth removals
- Wound repairs
- Basic eye surgeries
- Exploratory procedures and biopsies
- Bladder stone removals (cystotomies)
At-Home Recovery Instructions
After your pet’s procedure, your veterinarian will send you home with personalized instructions based on your pet’s needs and their particular procedure. However, there are some common post-op recovery instructions that are important after any procedure:
- Keep your pet in a pet-safe room or their crate for a few days following surgery to allow them to rest without too much distraction from other pets or people.
- Outfit your pet in an e-collar or a fitted onesie or T-shirt to protect their sutures and keep them from scratching or biting at them.
- Prevent your pet from roughhousing, running, or jumping for at least 10 days following surgery.
- Check the incision site daily for signs of redness, discharge, swelling, odor, or hardness, and please contact us immediately if you have any concerns.